Friday, January 11, 2008

Dec 27 Bkk 7

It's about 4:30 and I've showered after walking around the market with Eileen and Doc for a while. I got the little snack that had sticky rice with a banana in the middle wrapped in a leaf and steamed. It was freshly toasted and delicious. Walking around the market was totally typical of a Chinese Thai market. I feel a little bad that I didn't find a better restaurant last night -- both times we struck out. Walking in the market I was able to pick out good snack foods though.

Oh, last night the Tesco supermarket was pretty close to what a Publix etc. would be like here, only a bit more compact, and hidden inside a building with the Chinese fresh market all around. But it had aisles/rows and a fresh veggies/produce section on one side and take-out prepared food and scanning cash registers etc etc. Most stuff recognizable brands (Fritos, Coke etc.) And the sodas have better taste -- they don't use high fructose corn syrup, they use cane sugar.

The frangipani picture above was taken at the bus stop outside the Grand Palace. Just put it in here because it is pretty. I haven't included my zillion flower pictures for the most part.