Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dec 27 Bkk 4

The Emerald Buddha was wearing the cold season wrap -- fabric made out of gold. I knew the statue was made out of jade (not emerald). I knew it was found under a plaster covering a long time ago. They discovered it by accident because the plaster had cracked or flaked or something. I didn't know the plaster-covered version had been housed in Chiang Rai, and after discovery it had gone to Chiang Mai to the Lanna king. Very cool -- a northern Thai relic here in Bangkok. This all came from the tour guide.
I liked the lecture about jade at the place up on Doi Suthep. The lady told us a lot of history. The teeny elephant I got there was true jade, not nephrite (which is softer). I like that it is like an emerald.

The palace grounds are a sensory overload. But there are some tranquil things too. I like lotus ponds. There were rows of bonsai trees on the grounds.

This sala was a resting/lounge platform for the royal family. The floor is made of one large piece of teak wood.