[Skipped a day. I totally missed solstice day (the 21st) for writing. And for the first night up north here, I thought we were in Chiang Rai. Really we're farther north in a town right on the Burma-Laos border.] This picture is of a typical northern Thai rice field at the end of harvest. It was hard getting pix out the bus window._________________________________________
This resort truly is beautiful. Gorgeous buildings. Lovely architecture, great landscaping -- topiary shrubs along the driveway. One thing I notice in all the hotels is that the wood is *solid*. I think that in the States we forget that almost everything is veneer or faux wood. I love all this teak -- and being surrounded by it is just heavenly. It has a heavy, solid feel. My hands just go to touch it. Some of it has that yellow/orange-ish varnish on it. That I don't like so much -- maybe an oiled finish would be better?

I'm looking at the dates. I think I skipped a day yesterday. We got up, packed, and drove to Payao where we stopped by the lake. (I forgot about the lake! What's up with that?!)
at a nice coffee shop thing where the tour guide did a "discovery" of "Kung Then" -- dancing shrimp. The lady got live shrimp out of the lake and mixed them with hot pepper flakes and lime juice etc.
when they start jumping around. While they are jumping you are supposed to eat them alive. I talked Justin into trying a bite, then regretted it because of the water.... hope he doesn't get sick!