
I'm starting to feel a bit (teensy bit) acclimatized to the country. We went out on our own this afternoon to the Wararot market and walked around.
My language was okay to ask for directions and where things were. I managed ok on the song taew too -- bargained a *little* (probably still way over paid). It cost us 20B per person -- shoot, I remember when it just cost 2B per person to ride anywhere on one of those.
Got lots of pix up at the Doi Suthep temple. Eileen and I skipped the Buddhist lecture and went to a hilltribe handicraft store. I got a tablecloth and an elephant footprint purse thingy there.
Up on the mountain we stopped at a jade carving gemologist place. I got a little jade elephant there. On our market trip this afternoon I got a pair of batik pants.
This is a picture of a jade Buddha that the gemologist place donated to the King and he donated it back to the temple on Doi Suthep. It is beautiful and reminiscent of the Emerald Buddha in Bangkok. Very cool for Chiang Mai to have one here.