Monday, January 7, 2008

Dec 22 Chiang Saen con't 6

[I wrote a lot that morning on the balcony -- it was so pretty]

Today most of the tour group is going on a side trip to both Burma and Laos. They will visit another school and an opium museum of some kind. I'm not all that interested in the side trip, so we are going to run around Chiang Rai today (at the time I wrote this, I didn't realize we were some 40 miles north of Chiang Rai). Doc and Eileen are going along too. I'll see how well my Thai will get us around. The other day when I ended up crying, I think I had been trying *so* hard to read stuff (signs/billboards as the bus drove along) and that wasn't working as well as it used to. If I was going to stay in the country, I think with some classes or something, I could be fluent in 6 months or so.

Out on the balcony the sunrise was very pretty. I got some pix right away and I'm glad I did because a fog rolled in.

It is cool enough here that I had the AC off in the room and I'm wearing the fleece today. I'd say mid-60s. The guide said it had been real cold for a few days before we got here, then a warm front came i. But here now it is cool. Really this hotel is very clean - no spider-webs and such even that I've seen in FL up in eaves and such.